Thursday, December 10, 2009

You're Still a Good Man, Charlie Brown, by Chris Glazier

When I was a kid, I remember hearing adults complain about the holiday season. They would whine about how busy they were, how difficult traveling was and how tight finances were. I also remember thinking these people were insane. How could you complain about Christmas?
Of course, the older I get, the more I understand. When I was a kid, I didn't realize how busy, expensive and complicated this time of year gets. I didn't know how painful this time of year can be for lonely people. I didn't know about debates over politically correct phrases or that Santa and Jesus could be competing for our attention.
Few things about Christmas seem to be as special as they were when I was a kid, but there's one little pop-culture Christmas tradition that seems never to get old and remains special: A Charlie Brown Christmas.
There's something about good ol' Chuck's take on Christmas that seems to never age. For one thing, it's a great little movie. It's clever, well-written and features the timeless jazz recording from the Vince Guaraldi Trio, possibly the best Christmas music out there.
But, of course, the reason A Charlie Brown Christmas manages to stay fresh and powerful since its debut in 1965 is the fact that it features the real Christmas story. Every time Linus gets up to perform his poignant reading of Luke 2:8-14, I get the same chills that I got when I was a kid. It's a profoundly simple message delivered by an untrained child actor, but it somehow manages to convey the love of God every time I see it.
It's amazing that the little movie even managed to make it to the tube at all. When it was first made, producers balked at the child actors, jazz music and especially the Bible reading. They thought kids would be bored. But creator Charles Schulz, a Christian, was adamant about the movie, particularly the reading. A behind-the-scenes feature said that when producers talked to him about removing the scene, Schulz remarked, "If we don't tell the true meaning of Christmas, who will?"
Thank goodness he did. Now the good news of Jesus Christ humbling Himself and taking the form of human flesh gets aired to a national audience year after year, completely unedited. It still makes me feel like a kid every time I watch it, but more important, it reminds me what all this hubbub is truly about.

http://www.newmanmag.com/newmanreport/2009/12/youre-still-good-man-charlie-brown.html

1 comment:

  1. Great post David!!!!! So true and I've never thought of it like that!!!!

    ReplyDelete